Tom clancy end war pc review
EndWar (Tom Clancys Endwar, #1) by David MichaelsLets get right to the point, this book is terrible. The books title, Endwar is very deceiving. Instead of an endwar we have a Russian insurgency in Canada and jack being done about it on the part of the U.S. and our allies. If you were hoping for intense set piece battles that would decide the fate of the U.S. or the world then this book aint for you. There is no character development and the characters themselves are generic in every sense of the word. The evil Russian in the custody of the U.S. Military reminds me of someone you might see in James Bond or Mission Impossible. The Spec Ops guys are your standard tough guys, sole survivors with a major chip on their shoulder, angry at the world, kicking ass and taking names, gung ho like nobodys business. Oh yeah, theres also an eco terrorist in this book. I kid you not, an eco terrorist deciding that WWIII is the perfect time to save the Earth. Groan.
It is a horrible book. The politics of the story are not only implausible, but also stupid and superficial. The strategy is non-sensical: the Russians invade Canada with a relatively miniscule force, but the Canadian forces, enormously bigger, are nowhere to be scene. The technology of the weapons systems are outright fictitious: a kinetic weapon that produces as much energy as a small nuke? Do the energy balance equation on that one and you would need billions of pounds of rocket full to get it up to speed.
His story is much too splintered to provide adequate flow. His characters are poorly developed, and very cliché. Every male is your typical steely-eyed strapping army brute, while every female seems to be plucked straight from a modeling convention. Apart from Michaels misplaced sexual fantasies, the politics of his story make no sense whatsoever. It is obvious Michaels would rather watch a B-rate Laura Croft movie than read The Economist or Foreign Affairs. Why would Russia invade Canada with much of the worlds oil in their homeland and surrounding territories? Furthermore, his description of the environmentalist terrorist organization is stuff of fantasy, at best. His understanding of geopolitics is extremely elementary. This is a fine book for ignorant warmongers who would rather read the specs on some new weapon of mass destruction instead of text that holds true literary merit. Pick this up only if you want an afternoon read that reminds you just how stupid people can be.
Canada is pacifist and weak, even when invaded. The Prime Minister refuses to use Canadian troops to defend Canada?!? But it doesnt stop there. In real life, Canada has a very powerful brigade stationed just north of Edmonton, one of the invasion targets. The author doesnt even mention them. As part of the invasion, the Russians plan to use two suitcase sized nukes to intimidate Canada and the US to accept the reality of a Russian occupation, otherwise they will detonate them and contaminate the oil sands. Given that the oil sands cover thousands of square miles in northern Alberta (and are located literally hundreds of miles from Edmonton and Calgary), two 10 kiloton weapons wouldnt work. Now, if the author had said they were going to use 10 megaton weapon in Grande Prairie, then maybe it might have been believable.
There is plenty of action, but most of the writing is sub par at best and seems like it was written by someone in high school. Given that Clancys works are among my favorites (Red Storm Rising for example), this was a huge letdown.
A large part of the action in this book takes place in the Northwest Territories and Alberta with Russia keen on seizing Canadas immense oil reserves. Most people might think that such an incursion would would be of major concern to Canada and trigger a rapid military response. However, in this strange universe the Canadian government is so keen on maintaining neutrality in the ongoing war that it is quite content to have foreign powers invade its sovereign territory, hold its citizens hostage, steal its oil and duke it out without attempting any form or retaliation. The explantion given in the book for the lack of Canadian reaction is that the Canadian Prime minister is very conservative ??? what the ??? I also found it interesting that someone with the strange title of Commissioner of the Northwest Territories would have the authority of invite US forces to carry out military exercises without the approval of the federal government.
* On page 28 The Character Major Dennison is suppose to be a graduate of VMI and the Naval Academy. Okay first off VMI is a college, so if this character graduated from there, then would have been able to receive their commission and would have a degree. They wouldnt have then gone on to the Naval Academy for another undergraduate degree and then got commissioned that doesnt make sense in any reality even this book.
* Also a Marine Major wouldnt be in Naval Special Warfare. The USMC has their own units in the special operations community.
* Page 33 saying that Marine Force Recon Units would have Future Force Warrior Gear. Come on FFW is an Army program part of the Future Combat System. Yes an Army program funded by the Army for the Army. The Marines are not involved.
* Page 41 Green Brigade Terrorist Organization well there is a real Islamic organization by this name and they are not eco terrorists. If youre going to make up an organization at least use a name that is not from a real group.
* Page 46 they place cellophane over someones head for water boarding well that would defeat the whole purpose as putting plastic wrap on the person would suffocate them long before the water would do anything. You have to use a bag made of cloth, water has to enter the persons mouth, so that they get the feeling they will drown. I mean come on watch any current news story to get this one right.
* Page 49 they are talking about Ft Lewis an Army post and then mention a lance corporal, okay so now we have marines at the army base either say it was a marine or get the army rank structure right.
* Page 71 USS Florida is not SSN 805 it is SSGN 728 and is Ohio Class not Virginia class anyone can check the Navy Ship registry and get this one right, plus the 804 and 805 are not even in the plans to be built or wouldnt be before 2020. look at FAS.org
* Page 72 check your academy grads degrees if youre going to make them up at least go to the Naval Academy website and Naval Post graduate school Website to see what degrees/majors they actually offer or would be realistic
* There are so many others from made up missile and equipment designators to mismatched equipment. All of these companies use a series of designators and youre not so far in the future that there wouldnt be a logical progression in the numbering scheme.
* Then stuff like SOF troops using XM9s and SAWs when you have current systems now like the SCAR and others that would be fielded in that timeframe.
Instead I recommend Red Storm Rising which was actually written by Tom Clancy and an excellent book. Red Storm Rising gives you a front row seat to the real Endwar and with over 40 characters you find yourself caring about a lot of them. The battles in Endwar are like a childs finger painting, messy and without cohesion but at least a finger painting can look nice. In Red Storm Rising you always have a handle on what is going on and your on the edge of your seat waiting to see the outcome. The military jargon in Red Storm Rising can be confusing but once again at least Clancy knows what he is talking about.
Tom Clancy's EndWar
The Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable versions feature turn-based tactics instead of the real-time tactics of their console counterparts. A sequel was in the works, but due to the game's commercial failure , it was officially cancelled on February 8, A nuclear terrorist attack occurs in Saudi Arabia in , killing six million people and crippling the supply of oil from the Middle East , plunging the world into an unprecedented energy crisis. The U. Emboldened by the success of the tests, the U. The United Kingdom and Ireland opt not to join the new state, however, and instead form their own union known as the "New Commonwealth," which remains neutral but allows European forces to man the missile defense uplink sites on its territory.
Sign in to add this item to your wishlist, follow it, or mark it as not interested. Sign in to see reasons why you may or may not like this based on your games, friends, and curators you follow. All Rights Reserved.
the unknown life of christ pdf
About This Game
If you suddenly won the lottery, after going and buying yourself a new house and a new car and all the other niceties that come with being very rich, you would set out for the nicest restaurant in town, and get the most extravagant dinner possible. You would likely eat there several times a week, having found luxury and savoring it as much as you can. I literally have no idea what's going on here. Where have they been keeping the champagne!? It is the following night that you would go to dinner, not back to the nice restaurant, but to an old comfort: some fast food. The campaign revolves around a 3-way war between the US, the EU, and Russia, sparked by terror attacks that point the finger at the other 2 factions.
Mixed or average reviews - based on 24 Critics What's this? Mixed or average reviews - based on 48 Ratings. See all 24 Critic Reviews. User Score. Your Score. Rate this:. Log in to finish rating Tom Clancy's EndWar.