What to talk about at work
How to Talk to Anyone at Work: 72 Little Tricks for Big Success Communicating on the Job by Leil LowndesI picked up this book a few months back when starting working and looking for ideas on how to bond with coworkers. I never read much but on a plane ride recently had nothing else so finished it off.
I gotta say this book doesnt have terrible advice but it felt pretty cringy. Its kinda like old timey business full of platitudes. Im sure some places operate like that but everywhere Ive worked has been kind of past many of these tips. That being said the advice is funny and some of it is good.
A few funny or useful ideas:
* Prolong Your Praise. S-t-r-e-t-c-h out your compliment. A simple sentence isn’t enough when a coworker or a report does something you’re grateful for. Go for three sentences minimum! The melody of your protracted praise is sweet music to their ears. Like making love, the longer it lasts, the better it is!
* Stepping closer is an excellent way to mask insecurity or hostility, so, any time anyone at work intimidates or irritates you, just smile slightly and step a tad closer.
* Avoid weakening words like Ill try
* Hemophiliacs are people who bleed profusely when their skin is pricked. Everyone you work with has a comparable condition... they bleed emotionally when anyone punctures their ego
* Dont smile too fast
* Dont say but in response to people. Say Yes, and
* Search for solutions before reporting problems
* Keep a daily work diary
How to make small talk at work
There is an art to conversation — knowing just what to say to whom and how. Think of the times someone at the office has drawn you in with a perfectly told tale about an art exhibit. And then think of the times you wanted to crawl under your desk and scream because a colleague was completely inappropriate describing a debauchery weekend in lurid detail. Just so you can stay artful and not cringe-worthy, here is a list of 15 things and there could be 15, that you should never talk about at work. Do the illegal and abhorrent recent and historic antics of Hurricane Harvey Weinstein not convince you to ever bring up the subject or allude to it in any way? They should. Never ask a question about anyone in the office as it relates to sex, and remember that tehre are sexual harassment laws for a reason.
Do you ever find yourself at a loss for things to talk about while you’re at work? Banish those workplace conversation lulls with these work appropriate conversation topics! Keeping these conversation ideas in your back pocket can help you build relationships with your colleagues.
managing your personal finances 4th edition
How do you start a conversation with new people you meet at some event? How do you decide what things to talk about? Or you wait until some of them walk right up to you? For many people, beginning a small talk is a huge problem. Some of my friends cannot even accustom to the idea of talking with a person they do not know close.