Books with red in the title
Hindu Mythology: Vedic And Puranic by William Joseph WilkinsRating: 2/5
Subject: Indology/ SA Religion/Hinduism.
Year of Publish: 1990
I Like It
1. Well I would like to thanks writer that he has not try to be asshole during writing about Hinduism as another writer (Including Indian scholar) do. This is most honest book I ever written on Hindus ancient History or Ithihas. I am just not happy with title of This book Hindu Mythology. Hindu ancient text is not novel of science fiction. Text like Mahabharata, Ramayana, Dharmasutra, Vedas, Upanishads, Smahitas and others are considered as authentic and history of India. Moreover, writer has same notion about Aryans while I dont support this theory cause its already debunked. But I cannot blame even writer also cause this book is based on old historical indologocal study on India.
2. Moreover, Writer has briefly described the story of Lord Rama from various point and accept that this piece of ancient text is full of human emotions. Writer has used his skill to compare, bifurcate and descriptive analogy of various text retelling same story. writer has taken lots of example from Griffith and Max mullar work (Personally, I consider that Max Mullar was hinduphobic and Griffith has very little knowledge about Non transferable word of Sanskrit Non Transferable SanskritWord- Top # 06 so his translation is although doubtful.
3. Writer also tried to explain different concept of vedas, stories from Vedas, Puranas and others folk tails of India. One side writer consider Buddha to be Lord Vishnu 9th incarnation but other side he also itself not agreed on this. May be he has confused about different story and idea of Buddhism. but for information, charwaka has same materialistic philosophy for god and few of them can be seen in Bhagwat Gita itself.
4. This book try to contain almost each deities from Vedas to Puranas and early era of 15 CE to 17 CE. This book also clearly transparent about the supreme and uniq character of God Brahman in Vedas. he also tried hard to define that how god of Vedas Indra, Rudra, Vishnu become Puranic god Brahma, Vishnu & Mahesh.
5. Writer also tried to broke down myth of 33 million God. he clearly distinct God into 33 Types
Twelve Ādityas (personified deities) – Mitra, Aryaman, Bhaga, Varuṇa, Dakṣa, Aṃśa, Tvāṣṭṛ, Pūṣan, Vivasvat, Savitṛ, Indra (Śakra), Vishnu.
Eleven Rudras, consisting of:
Five abstractions – Ānanda bliss, Vijñāna knowledge, Manas thought, Prāṇa breath or life, Vāc speech,
Five names of Śiva – Īśāna ruler, Tatpuruṣa that person, Aghora not terrible, Vāmadeva pleasant god, Sadyojāta born at once
Eight Vasus (deities of material elements) – Pṛthivī Earth, Agni Fire, Antarikṣa Atmosphere or Space, Jal Water, Vāyu Wind, Dyauṣ Sky, Sūrya Sun,Nakṣatra Stars, Soma Moon
Things I don t like it
1. Few location writer explained that how itself Brahma has introduce cast system in Vedas but he clearly mentioned that this division was labor base. But in next page he itself forget and tried to separate the caste with Dravidian theory.
2. At last page of Book, writer tried show that hindus has show much god that its hard for them to even remember that. But within book, he clearly mentioned that Only vedic god and puranic, lord vishnu and shiva are worth of worshiped.
3. In Many places, writer tried to show that how bhagwatam puran try hard to under mine lord shiva. and he has mentioned 10 incrantaion of Vishnu but not wrote about shiva show much. He forgot to wrote about different incranation of lord Shiva. Like 11 Rudra avtaar: 1) Kapali 2) Pingal 3) Bheem 4) Virupaksha 5) Vilohit 6) Shastra 7) Ajapaad 8) Ahirbudhnya 9) Shambhu 10) Chand and 11) Bhav.
1. Ardhnaarishwar Avatar: Ardhnaarishwar form of the Lord Shiva includes half body of Lord Shiva and other half of the Mata Parvati. This form is very calm and peaceful, provides blessings to the devotees.
2. Nandi Avatar: Lord Shiva had taken lots of avatars on the earth according to the requirement for their devotees. Nandi avatar is one of all the avatars.
3. Sharabh Avatar: This form of the Lord Shiva was the 6th avatar of him.
4. Grihpati Avatar: Grihpati avatar of the Lord Shiva was the 7th avatar of him.
5. Neel Kanth Avatar: Neel Kanth avatar is also a main form of him. Once there was arisen a lot of Vish from the churning of the ocean. Lord Shiva had drunk all the Vish to prevent his beautiful world from the bad effects of Vish. Mata Parvati had stopped the Vish to fall below the neck by putting her palm on his neck. So, this form of him is known as the Neel kanth avatar.
6. Rishi Durvasha Avatar: It is considered as this avatar of the Lord is the main avatar. He has taken this avatar on the earth to maintain the discipline of the universe.
7. Mahesh Avatar: Mahesh avatar is also a peaceful form of the Lord Shiva which blesses his devotees.
8. Hanuman Avatar: hanuman avatar is considered as the supreme avatar of him. Lord Shiva has taken this avatar during the time Lord Rama to present a good example of the Lord and Bhakt in front of the people.
9. Brishabh Avatar: Brishabh avatar is the very significant form of the God Shiva.
10. Piplaad Avatar: Lord Shiva helps their devotees to get free from the Shani Dosha in this form. It is considered as the name of this avatar was given by the Lord Brahma.
11. Vaishyanath Avatar: This is the main avatar of the Lord Shiva to his devotees.
12. Yatinath Avatar: Yatinath avatar of the God Shiva represents a peaceful form of him to his devotees.
13. Krishna Darshan Avatar: Lord Shiva, in this form had represented the significance of the yagya and important religious rituals in Hinduism.
14. Awdhuteshwar Avatar: In this form Lord Shiva had crushed the ego of proud Indra.
15. Bhichhuwarya Avatar: In this form, Lord Shiva protects his all creatures from any difficulty.
16. Sureshwar Avatar: This form of Lord Shiva represents the love and care of him towards his devotees.
17. Bramhchari Avatar: Lord Shiva had taken this avatar to test the Mata Parvati. When Sati rebirth on the earth to the Himalaya’s house as his daughter, Parvati and started worshipping the God Shiva to marry him.
Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Want to Read saving…. Want to Read Currently Reading Read. Other editions. Enlarge cover. Error rating book.
He joined an exuberant crowd of fans in New York City during a live webcast in partnership with Scholastic Reading Club. Over 1 million viewers worldwide tuned in for the unveiling, which is now available to watch on the Wimpy Kid YouTube channel. The intense red cover features bold yellow striping and a special cheese font that highlights a popular element from the books. Double Down is really special to me, because it reflects a renewed commitment to the series and a plan for the future. An all-new original story by bestselling author Jeff Kinney, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Double Down is one of the most anticipated books of the year everywhere; tens of millions of fans eagerly await this newest volume. There are now more than million copies of the books in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series in print globally. Diary of a Wimpy Kid continues to turn millions of kids on to reading everywhere.
A treasure box of stories!
You can change your city from here. - To vote on existing books from the list, beside each book there is a link vote for this book clicking it will add that book to your votes.
I felt like that a few months ago. Not that I did anything about it. Well, I started a post, but never finished writing it. But I am writing it now. I have only read one of these. Does that strike anyone else as odd? It strikes me as strange.